Wednesday, September 26, 2012

DIY Sea Urchin * Starburst

Ok, I have been seeing these amazing Sea Urchins all around me lately; in magazines, stores, and on TV & Movies.  I fell in love with them and searched online to buy one only to find out they cost over $100. Way out of my budget! So I decided I would tough it out and make my own! Today, I would like to show you a super easy and CHEAP DIY project which I absolutely loved the result!  & for less than $10 YOU can make one as well! For a while now I have been in love with gold decorations and these lovely beauties :
 
And they are inspired by Jonathan Adler's sculptures, and Kelly Wearstler which are running for over $2,000
and this DIY is only $10.
it's worth it I tell ya!

Here's what you will need :
-Styrofoam balls ( try for the smaller sizes. they usually run around $2-3  )
- gold metalic paint ( or try a different color if you'd like )
-wooden sticks ( I used two sizes - about 4 sticks)
-scissors to cut the wooden sticks
- mod podge ( to seal the deal )





 First I cut the wooden sticks and began to stick them into the styrofoam ( I also used glue to seal the wood into the styrofoam )





 Then I took the urchin and spray painted it. ( make sure to do this outside-- the paint fumes are toxic and you don't want to breathe them in)

Let dry, and you have an amazing new addition to your coffee table, night stand, or bookshelf! Get creative with it! Try different colors, or even add glitter or rhinestones! Let me know if you try this project, and I'd love to see your completed piece! 
Here is where I currently have mine:
I think I am going to add more sticks and make it more golden, maybe add some rhinestones to the end of the sticks. We'll see.  Ill post more photos when I complete it.
Stay tuned for the next project which involves some more gold paint... and a decoration not only good for Halloween, but year round!

Also, I noticed that the Curlby team and Hannah from Champagne Lifestyles on a Beer Budget had this DIY as well ;) Great minds think alike!





1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh! I can't believe you did a DIY of this too! I created this using plato and popsicle straws! haha going to post my DIY sometime next week! Too funny! Guess it means we both have the same (awesome) design aesthetic!!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    xx
    
Holly Foxen Wells

    GlamourMash

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to comment my blog & will do my best to respond to each and every one of you! :) xoxo Lisa Nicole ♥
Please follow my social media accounts
>> facebook// twitter //etsy <<